Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) available – 10/23/20 deadline
If your employment was directly affected by the recent wildfires and straight-line winds, you may qualify for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA).
DUA is a federal program that provides financial benefits to people whose employment or self-employment was lost or interrupted as the direct result of a major disaster. In response to the recent wildfires, the Oregon Employment Department has received approval to administer DUA on behalf of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
DUA is currently available for these approved areas, although additional counties may be added to the list: Clackamas, Douglas, Jackson, Klamath, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, and Marion.
If you live or work in one of these counties, you might qualify for DUA if you:
- lost your job as a direct result of this major disaster,
- were self-employed and prevented from doing your job because of this major disaster,
- were unable to reach your job because of this major disaster,
- were scheduled to and prevented from beginning work or self-employment in the disaster area,
- were unable to work due to injury as a direct result of the disaster, or
- became head of household due a death caused by the disaster.
NOTE: You are not eligible for DUA benefits if you already receive regular unemployment insurance (UI) or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA).
DUA is available beginning the week of September 13, 2020, and benefits will be available until March 20, 2021, as long as your unemployment continues to be a direct result of the wildfires.
HOW TO APPLY
You should file your DUA application as soon as possible: Initial applications must be received on or before October 23, 2020. There are several ways to file your DUA application:
- MAIL: Send your completed application to ATTN: Disaster Unemployment Assistance Unit, 875 Union Street NE, Salem, OR 97311
- ONLINE: Submit your application materials through the Employment Department’s Unemployment website: unemployment.oregon.gov/contact-us
- IN-PERSON: You can complete an application packet in-person at the following FEMA/Red Cross locations:
- State Fairgrounds
- Clackamas County Fairgrounds
- Jackson County Fairgrounds
- Deschutes County Fairgrounds
- Douglas County Fairgrounds
DUA applications, instructions, answers to frequently asked questions, and more can be found on the Oregon Employment Department’s website:
www.oregon.gov/EMPLOY/Disaster If you have additional questions and would like to speak with someone over the phone, please call 503-570-5000.
Sincerely, David Gerstenfeld
Acting Director of the Oregon Employment Department